Does My Roof Need Drip Edge?
One of the most overlooked pieces of a new roofing system is drip edge at both the rake and the eaves. While drip edge is a common component in some areas of the country, most Atlanta roofers don’t offer it, because it’s not part of most municipalities building code (with Dunwoody being an exception). It is particularly important to have drip edge in our area due to the intense storms that we experience. If your roof doesn’t have drip edge installed, we recommend adding it to your roof whenever it is serviced or replaced.
If you’re looking to have drip edge installed on your roof in the Canton area, you’ve come to the right place! Contact Fowler Homes online to schedule drip edge installation in the Atlanta metro area!
What Is Drip Edge?
Drip edge is a metal flashing that is installed at the edges of the roof to help control the flow of water away from the fascia and to protect the underlying roofing components. Drip edge overhangs the sides of the roof and has a small metal flange that is bent away from the fascia. It is non-corrosive and non-staining so that your roof looks good but is structurally stable.
Reasons to Use Drip Edge:
- Directs water away from the fascia and prevents water from rotting the fascia over time.
- Protects the edge of the decking due to water penetration during driving rains.
- Seals any gaps at the bottom of the roof—where there is often a gap between the decking and the fascia—which could allow small animals to enter the attic.
- Helps protect the bottom of the roofline during ice dams that can occur during the winter months.
- Prevents movement between fascia and deck boards.
- Assists gutters to direct water away from your house and foundation.
- Extends the longevity of your roof and improves its overall effectiveness.
Other Roofers Say Drip Edge Isn’t Needed:
Homes have been built in the Atlanta area from Canton to Alpharetta for decades and a large majority of those homes don’t have any drip edge. Using the logic of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” contractors often tell homeowners that drip edge can be a waste of money. However, if you have rotting fascia or decking at the eaves and rakes, then your roofing system is broken and there is a simple solution that can solve your problems.
Though drip edge is often neglected or not offered by Atlanta area contractors, it is definitely an option that should be considered during your roof replacement.
For additional information on drip edge and why you should consider it, or to schedule a roof replacement in the Atlanta area, please call me at 770-744-5992 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org